One of my favourite catwalk looks from Mercedes Benz Fashion Week was created by KMS California and the Makeup Store for toi et moi. Two hair looks alternated on the catwalk: soft, carefree, beachy and sexy waves, and a chic, slightly messy high top knot. Makeup was focused on the eyes. I was so excited to see gorgeous black winged liner (after a few shows left out liner altogether).
Makeup Director Maria Gabriel of the Makeup Store explained that the look was inspired by the toi et moi collection. “The black winged eyeliner and white shadow was the key feature of the look. The toi et moi collection really focuses on black and white, so the makeup is a reflection of that.”
Maria and her team managed to capture the essence of francophile beauty with a clean white eye shadow on the lids, white liner on the inner corners of the eyes and gorgeously dark winged liner that both elongated and widened the model’s eyes. “The eye look is sort of Twiggy meets Cleopatra,” she said. Eyes were widened even further with masses of mascara to create gorgeously lush jet black lashes.
Hair Director Stephen Seago and his team from KMS California created two amazingly wearable hair looks for the show. (And I scored details on how to get the look yourself…)
How To Get Look 1: The Top Knot
1. Prep your hair with KMS Free Shape hot flex creme (which if you don’t own, you should. I am addicted to this stuff) and Free Shape quick blow dry lotion before you start blow drying for a beautiful smooth, glossy finish.
2. Using a soft paddle brush, section out two separate pony tails, one on the crown of your head and one just in front.
3. Back comb both pony tails to create texture and apply Hair Play dry wax for hold and definition.
4. Lightly brush each pony tail to create a smooth finish.
5. Join the ponytails together, bnringing them forward towards your face and then in a clockwise motion, begin wrapping your hair around the base to create the bun.
6. Secure the bun with bobby pins and Hair Stay maximum hold hairspray.
How To Get Look 2: Sexy Tousled Waves
1. Prep your hair with KMS California Add Volume volumising spray, being sure to apply it evenly.
2. Apply Add Volume root and body lift spray for extra va-va-voom!
3. Take large vertical sections and apply Free Shape hot flex spray (soooo addicted) to the mid-lengths and ends and then use hot tongs, ensuring you tong away from your face. (Don’t forget to tong both sides of your hair in the same direction, especially at the front.)
4. Continue around to the back of your hair (mix up the direction of tonging as you go for a more natural looking finish.)
5. Lightly brush out the sections, apply Hair Play sea salt spray to finish the beachy curl look and power dry for a sexy tousled finish.
In between model makeovers, I managed to steal Hair Director Stephen Seago (of Roar Hairdressing in Melbourne) away for a quick chat about his favourite products and a few sneaky expert tips. “I love KMS California Hair Play Dry Wax. It does absolutely everything. It’s a super easy to use spray that gives a gorgeous matte finish, great hold and that beautifully ‘undone’ look that so many people crave. Spray it into towel dried hair then blow dry for a gorgeous tousled ‘I’m not even trying’ style with a great second day hair feel (without the ick factor), or even use it in dry hair to add hold and definition. It helps create texture as too!”
As the temperature drops, hair can start to look dry and flat, so I just had to ask… what’s a girl to do in winter to keep her hair looking great?
“Every six weeks, get your hair trimmed!” he said emphatically. (And yes, that means YOU too long haired people.) “You need to keep it moisturised so make sure you get regular treatments from your hair stylist as well.” For balayaged babes like me? “KMS Colour Vitality Blonde Treatment is perfect for brightening balayaged ends and all shades of blonde, while all hair colours and types can benefit from a KMS Colour Vitality Shine & Shield treatment to lock in moisture and shine. Don’t over-dry your hair, you can still blow dry, but don’t let it over-heat and don’t stretch out the length with a brush too much while you’re drying. Let it dry naturally every once in a while too. Keep it super hydrated with Silk Sheen leave in conditioner.”
Have a great weekend!
Find me: Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest