I’ve had a rough week. I’ve had a ghastly flu and been burderned with what my doctor referred to as “nuclear strength antibiotics”. You know those days when you just feel blah? Most mornings I walk out of the house feeling confident and amazing, but some days seem dull and drab before they’ve even begun. Luckily, I’ve developed a system for combatting blah, dull and drab. Here are my top 5 ways to pull yourself out of a blah day.
1. Wash and blow-dry (or straighten or curl) your hair. It will look fresh and shiny and smell amazing. Most of the time I am a dry shampoo addict and boy howdy it’s good stuff, but sometimes you just need supermodel hair. Favourite products: Moroccanoil Treatment Light $27.50 / 25ml, KMS California Free Shape Hot Flex Spray $31.95 / 200ml.
2. Fake bake it. There is nothing quite like a tan to make you feel glamorous, slim and sexy. But as we all know, real ones are terribly bad for us and so (hopefully) you’ve discovered the beauty of a faux glow. I’m a dedicated tanner in summer: I do a full scrub and application once a week, and a top-up application after a few days. In winter I’m lazier about it, but a gorgeous golden glow is sure to perk me up any day. Favourite products: Le Tan Fast Tan Mousse in Deep Bronze $12.99, Vani T Liquid Sunshine $28.95 and for those days where you can’t be bothered doing a full scrub and tan… Le Tan Flawless Legs Body Makeup is a lifesaver $17.99.
3. Be illuminating! An illuminator or highlighter is makeup’s answer to flat, dull and blah. It’s kind of like having your own personal lighting specialist follow you around every. single. second. Sweep a little across the high points of your face (that is: the bridge of your nose, tops of your cheekbones near the temple, on your forehead just above your brows and if you really feel super blah, dot a little in the inner corner of each eye – it makes your eyes look brighter – and in your cupid’s bow, which is the hollow above your top lip.) Sneaky secret? Mix a liquid illuminator into your foundation for an all-over heavenly glow. Favourite products: Face of Australia Mineral Therapy Illuminator in Angel Mist $14.95 and M.A.C Mineralise Skin Finish in Lightscapade $47.00.
4. Wear a bright(er) lipstick. One thing that’s bound to put you in a good mood and put some colour in your face is a great bright lipstick. I’m pretty obsessed with some of the great corals out there at the moment. The great thing about coral is it’s like pink and orange had a baby together, which means it suits both warm and cool skintones! Coral is the perfect pick-me-up for mid-week. But if you’re after something a little more wow for the weekend, go for a deep fiery red or a boom-smash orange. Favourite products: Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipcolour in Coral Fire $16.95, Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Besotted $39.00 and Shop M.A.C Lipstick in Watch Me Simmer $36.00.
5. Give yourself a statement mani. There’s nothing quite like having fabulous nails. It gives you that extra bit of wow factor, it’s a conversation starter and it’s likely to get you noticed. I always get compliments when I choose a bright or unique nail colour. Plus, there’s something about having hands that look great that’s a real confidence booster. Neon yellow, bright orange, pretty pink with a glitter feature nail (like the one here) or a parade of pastel colours on your fingers (like here). Statement nails are a big blah-buster! Favourite products: Revlon Top Speed Nail Enamel in Electric and Pink Lingerie $15.95, OPI Nail Polishes in Pamplona Purple and Jade is the New Black $19.95, Sportsgirl Nail It! in Ginger $7.95, Face of Australia ProNail Enamel in Cool Cotton $6.95 and Barbados Nail Enamel in Another Daquiri Please $4.95.
Do you have a system or a great way to combat the “blahs”? Any parts of your beauty routine that instantly perk you up? Will you be trying any of my tips? Let me know!
Note: all images used above are PR shots. Layouts are my own.