I am NOT one of those people who just wakes up with amazing hair. I work with some of them though… and while I love admiring their perfect locks, it frustrates me that my hair requires so much attention and energy to look exactly the same. At least, I thought it did. Little did I realise that a few little tweaks to my usual hair routine would make such a major difference! Don’t worry, I’m not going to do that mysterious “I have amazing hair but I’m not going to tell you how” thing.
It all started with the delivery of a wooden comb.
I read up on Carpenter Tan’s Luxury Hair Accessories, and the benefits really astounded me. Their wooden combs are handcrafted using only the finest sustainable and ethically sourced timbers. I received the Ivy Comb in Peachwood (RRP $8.95). It’s a fine-toothed comb, naturally finished and specifically designed to reduce structural damage to the hair, while reinvigorating the scalp.
Now I was a bit dubious at first. A comb? Really? That’s it? But after using it for a month, I’ve noticed such a change in the quality and texture of my hair. Because it’s made from natural materials, it is much gentler on your hair and it helps to distribute your natural hair oils (which are so much better for your hair than any treatment) from your scalp, down through the mid-lengths and ends of your hair. Being a balayaged babe, I am keen to try anything that will help add some moisture to my poor bleached ends.
And the beautiful workmanship is just a plus, I love how pretty the combs are! Now, as you all know, I’m a Leo (so aside from loving beautiful things) my mane is my pride and joy. Anything that will improve said mane is immediately put into regular circulation. The other wonderful thing about the Carpenter Tan’s Combs is that they’re naturally anti-static. Hair static is something I struggled with until recently. But now, it’s all smooth baby smooth. After using the comb morning and evening my balayaged ends are in much better condition, they’re no longer frizzy and fried-looking and they’ve actually got some shine to them (which I didn’t have to spray in). And the extra blood-flow to my scalp has helped with some dryness and I swear has actually made my hair grow faster.
The one other plus, which I was super impressed with, is that with regular use, my blow-dries lasted much longer than usual. If you’re like me, your blow dry looks amazing the day you get it done, but after sleeping on it, it goes a bit… flat and messy. I used to wake up after a blow dry with the ends of my hair all stuck together, hair sticking out at weird angles… but using a natural wood comb has made all the difference. And I’m giving my new extensions the wooden comb treatment too. They are definitely thanking me for it!
Blow Dry Day 2
Blow Dry Day 3
Now I didn’t wake up quite as smooth this day, there was a little kink in the front which I had to tong to smooth out, but aside from that, I am super impressed! I’ve never had a blow dry last thing long or this well before!
Here are a few more tips on keeping your locks looking AH-MAY-ZING!
1. Sleep on a satin pillowcase – the slippery, sleek nature of the silk means your hair can slide around as much as it likes, it will be less tangled and much smoother when you awake.
2. Use a wide tooth comb to comb through wet hair – you’ll lose less hair and it’s far less damaging than trying to brush your hair straight out of the shower.
3. Just like your Mum and Nanna said – comb (or brush) your hair before you go to bed. It doesn’t have to be 100 strokes like Marcia Brady, but using a naturally based tool will help to invigorate your scalp, increase blood-flow to the hair follicles and help distribute all those good hair oils down through the shaft of the hair.
4. Use a high quality treatment at least once a week to really plump up and moisturise your ends. I love Moroccan Oil Restorative Hair Masque. And make sure you comb it through for the best possible results.
5. Always use a heat protector when heat styling your hair. I use KMS California Hot Flex Spray.
So lovelies, is your mane your pride and joy? How do you keep it in tip top condition? Let me know!
For more information on Carpenter Tan’s Luxury Hair Accessories, check out their website.
p.s. Have you entered to WIN A MAKEUP BOX yet? Get on it!
Per my disclosure statement this product was kindly sent to me for editorial consideration. I have not been compensated for this review. All opinions are my own and are honest.